Thursday 2 July 2015

Whistler ArtWalk and ice in a heatwave


The Whistler ArtWalk 2015 is here for the next two months, and there is incredible artwork to be found everywhere in the village, from galleries to cafes and restaurants. It is a definite must see. A multitude of artists are participating, and I'm lucky to be one of them. ArtWalk runs from June 27 to August 31, and there is more information to be had about what is displayed where from the Whistler Arts Council at http://www.artswhistler.com/events/artwalk.



Eight of my paintings and prints are on display at the Millennium Place gallery, including several of my paintings about ice. It seems a bit silly to talk about ice in the relentless heatwave we are having at the moment, but  perhaps thoughts of ice have a way of keeping us cool on a hot day. I started the project in the winter, and have been photographing ice and painting its formation and melting. It was a way for me to connect with the world around me, and to tune in with the changes that were happening in my backyard. I've talked about some of those paintings earlier in this blog, but below are a couple of new ones that are now on display at the Millennium Place.



These two paintings are titled "under the ice" and "ice life" respectively. They are acrylic mixed media paintings that not only reflect on the texture and pattern of the ice itself, but also incorporate species that are directly dependent on ice.

The two prints below are a little different and are a result of my playing around with a new technique. I photographed some frost that had formed overnight on glass, had the photos printed on watercolour paper, and then painted on top of that. The results are on the abstract side of things, but I liked the technique enough that I may try it in a larger scale in the future. The prints are titled "through the glass 1" and "through the glass 2". They are also now at the Millennium Place gallery.



I hope to see you all at the ArtWalk this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment